
As I have said before, I like watching the wildlife out my window. So, as you can imagine I have a few bird feeders. My first summer here I started feeding the birds and enjoyed seeing my first Red Polls. They are very striking with their red heads, some even have red down onto their chests. But, it really took the birds quite a long time to find my bird seed offerings.
So when I opened the office I began looking for a place to offer the birds a free lunch. The criteria: I wanted to be able to see and watch them from my desk. I chose an open place near our security fence. Next door there is a large open field and not much 'cover' to offer timid birds. I was surprised and impressed when it took less than 2 days for the birds to find the feeders. I have not ever seen a feeding station as well attended in such a short time!
First to visit were the adorable little Oregon Juncos. I have to admit these little birds have always been my favorite, since childhood I enjoyed seeing them at our feeders throughout the winter even in the deep snow. Following them in were a generous flock of House Sparrows. The next day I was surprised to see a large group of Blackbirds, a really big mixed flock of both Red Winged and Brewers Blackbirds came and realized that they had a smorgasboard available. I was delighted when I saw my first Scrub Jay, I had never seen them before I moved down here. Where I grew up there were Stellar's Jays with their raucus calls and bossy attitudes. And just the other day a Mourning Dove came to visit for a bit.
I have only had the feeders up about 2 weeks and I am excited to see who will come to visit later in the spring and summer! If you stop by, you might enjoy checking out our feathered visitors too!

No comments:
Post a Comment